Add an Extra Address to your Yahoo! Mail
- Posted October 23rd, 2009 at 6:49 am by HuongT
- Categories: All-New Mail, Classic Mail, Featured, Tips & Tutorials
Today’s post comes from reader suggestion (who will have to remain anonymous, because I seem to have misplaced his email, ping, message from Facebook, LinkedIn etc.), who reminded me that, ‘with all of the fantastic new updates we’ve been releasing lately, like the new social features and Apps in Yahoo! Mail, we sometimes overlook the great features that have been around for ages.’ Features which make Yahoo! Mail the best (not just my opinion) email service around. One such feature is the ability to add an extra mail address to your Yahoo! Mail account.
You’ve got questions, I’ve got answers…
What is it?
An extra mail address is a second Yahoo! email address that is linked to your existing Yahoo! Mail account. It’s another email address, just like your primary one, that you can use to send and receive mail from, while using the exact same Inbox you’re used to. You can even make it the default address that you send email from if you want.
Why do I want one?
I can think of a number of things that you could use the extra mail address for. Here’s just a couple:
- Let’s say you’re looking for a new job. If you originally signed up for a mail address like firstname.lastname@example.org, you might think twice about putting that at the top of your resume. You can create an extra mail address that is more appropriate for a job search or other business correspondence.
- Maybe you just want to have a second email address. There’s a great deal of convenience in being able to check for new mail without having to login and out of two separate accounts.
Sounds good, how do I get one?
It’s easy to set up and start using. From your Yahoo! Mail account click ‘Options’ then ‘Mail Options’ in the upper-right part of your Mailbox. From the Mail Options screen click ‘Accounts’ then ‘Add or edit an Account’. At the bottom of the new window click the ‘Get Started’ link under ‘Extra Mail Address’.
That sounds easy, but I’m still not sure. What else?
- You can easily send from this extra email address by selecting it from the pull-down menu when you compose a new message.
- You can sign in to your Yahoo! Mail (or anywhere else on Yahoo!) using the extra email address with your existing password.
- You can even make the extra email address the default for sending new mail. Just set it as the default in the ‘Mail Accounts’ section of Mail Options.
I really hope you try out this feature. If you get stuck, or want to find out more information about extra email addresses in Yahoo! Mail, take a look at our help pages.