I get a lot of email, and I mean a lot. Every once in a while I receive one that I find very annoying. Today someone sent me one in ALL CAPS. I mean there’s no need to shout, I’m a nice guy.
I’m sure that sometimes people are not aware that there are, in fact, rules when writing an email. And email to friends is usually different from business emails. But just like that old archaic form of communication the hand-written letter, there is a ‘netiquette’ to be followed when you compose an Email.
The email I just received prompted me to think about all the things that have annoyed me in the past. So these are what you voted as your biggest email pet peeves.
Which of the following would you rate as your top email bug bear:
- Use of text speak such as LOL and BTW (22.0%)
- Mass distribution emails to 5 or more recipients (16.0%)
- Use of ‘shouting’ CAPITAL letters (15.0%)
- No entry in subject line (12.0%)
- Read receipts (10.0%)
- Inappropriate flagging of emails as High Importance (7.0%)
- Smiley faces (6.0%)
- Excessive exclamation marks (4.0%)
- Kisses as a sign off from your boss or work colleague (4.0%)
- Formal sign off from a friend (3.0%)
- Informal sign off from a work colleague (Cheers) (1.0%)
Total Votes: 1,321
Andrew – Yahoo! Mail Team