I’ve been asked before about how to set Yahoo Mail as your default email. Up until now, the only way that I knew, was to download and install the complete Yahoo! Messenger client, and install the Yahoo! Extras that come along with it. But I’m happy to tell you that, since Firefox 3 was released recently, there’s a new and much easier way to make Yahoo! Mail be the default mail when you see those clickable email addresses.
Here’s how to set up Yahoo! Mail to be your default email application using Firefox 3:
- Download and install Firefox 3
- After installation and when you have Firefox 3 up and running, click Tools, then Options
- In the options window that pops up, click the Applications Tab
- In the box labeled “Search” type Mail
- In the “Action” drop down box, select “Use Yahoo Mail”
- Finally, click “OK”
Here’s a little slide show that shows you all the steps:
That’s all there is to it. The next time you click on an email address link (also know as a mailto: link) when using Firefox 3, it will take you right to the compose window in Yahoo Mail.
Andrew – Yahoo! Mail Team